Starting your own IT Business in Kenya in 9 steps
- Register a business name at Huduma Kenya or Sheria House. It should cost less that Ksh. 2,000 in total.
Caution: Realize it’s a business name and not limited company, many people don’t realize the significance of managing the little seed capital that you may be having. Why spend 20k on registration, if you can spend it in a productive undertaking like a web design and hosting.
- Armed with a Certificate of business registration, apply for KRA PIN Number.
- Secure a business payment channel, MPESA Till Number is perfect.
By now you have the services you want to offer. Assuming you will be offering the simplest service offering out there Web Hosting, Email Hosting, Email Marketing and Internet Marketing.
- Arm yourself with a business phone line that you will need to be on quick of your target market.
- Design or hire a web design firm to like Truehost Kenya or Kenya Web Experts to design for you a decent website.
Kenya Web Experts specializes in Joomla Websites. Try Truehost Kenya for WordPress, Drupal, PHP and even Joomla. Don’t forget to ask for a live chat module on you site, it works magic.
A simple website must be able to tell it all at a glance.
- You may start of at home, or secure a work station in CBD for 10k a month or so, secure a modest office in town if it’s within your means. Consider your customer while settling for a location – who is your target market for the domain and hosting services.
Kenya Web Experts and Truehost Kenya knows their market for Web hosting, domain registration, web design, internet marketing and thus their office locations.
- Tell friends and family, the public of your new venture – literally everyone you speak with.
- Serve your first client with all your heart – he or she will get you 10 or more clients.
- With full commitment and passion this marks the birth of a multinational empire.
This is not a methodology but it has worked for several ventures out there especially Web and Internet Companies.