Blocking of IP in the cPanel commonly happens shared hosting servers and cPanel VPSs. It’s caused by the following;
- cPanel server being used to host large corporate mail accounts or multiple websites with constant updates.
- While using shared servers, it’s normally caused by incorrect logins or over-zealous web application firewall settings.
- A website update is interpreted as a hack attempt by the web application firewall(Mod-security)
- Web owner failed to successfully authenticate in a mail, web, FTP or cPanel services interface multiple times leading the firewall to think it’s a brute force attempt
- Web owner’s mail client has a very low ‘mail check interval’, causing a denial of service attack like behavior, especially if many users are accessing mail through a common connection.
The following are steps on how to block IP;
- Log into cPanel
- Click “Site Management” select IP Deny Manager
- Click “Add an IP Deny” Enter IP address that you would wish to block
- Click “Add” and that IP address will not be able to access website again.