Microsoft Internet Information Services (IIS) is a web server software used for hosting websites and applications on the web. It is used in Windows Servers. Here we look at how to install IIS on Windows Server. We have another article on how to configure IIS in this same knowledge base.
- Install IIS
To install IIS, first log in to the server using RDP. Then follow the steps below:
- Open Server Manager and click on Manager >> Add Roles and Features
2. Click Next until you reach Server Selection Leave the default settings for Installation Type. You can read through the page as you progress.
3. On Server Selection, click on Select a server from the server pool then press Next.Once you are on Server Roles, select Web Server(IIS) and click
4. A Dialogue box will appear, press Add Features and select all the features you will need installed for IIS. You can choose to Ignore those features. It depends with the requirements of the application you are running. Eg, Smartermail 16.x requires IIS installed to include Microsoft .NET 4.5 Framework and Minimal IIS installation. Then click Next
5. Click Next again:
6. Under Web Server Roles, the default configuration will work for most users. But if you need anything more, you can tick it eg HTTP Redirection. Then click Next.
- Click install and wait for installation to complete.
After successful installation, we need to configure IIS. Please vistit our article on How to Configure IIS on Windows Server 2012 R2